Holmfield House was built in 1833 by Thomas Foljambe, a Wakefield lawyer who had been acquiring land at Thornes. In 1863 the house and land were sold to Major Joseph Barker, worsted manufacturer, who enlarged the house in the 1870s with a stable block, entrance lodge, boundary wall, carriage drive and an avenue of chestnut trees. After Major Barker’s death in 1892 the house was first let and then sold to Alderman W.H. Kingswell, who like Major Barker had been one of the original Park Trustees. In 1918 Wakefield Corporation purchased the house and the surrounding 14 acres and on July 19th 1919 – national Peace Day marking the conclusion of the First World War – Holmfield Park was dedicated by the Mayor, Councillor George Blakey. From 1923, the upper part of the house was used as the first City Museum and the ground floor held a tea room.
Holmfield House is now the The Holmfield public house and restaurant.