The three parks in Wakefield have a rich and varied history within the Park but it is interesting to look outside Thornes Park and see what is on the outskirts. Here is the base of the pump which is diagonally across the road from the rhubarb sculpture on Denby Dale Road, under the railway bridge. This Grade II listed artefact was built in sandstone in 1827, over an old well. It was in use until the late 1870s when the water became contaminated due to a spillage of of paraffin and was subsequently sealed. There are four steps to a plinth which still has traces of an iron canopy support. The sunk panels on the sides probably once held plaques. Eventually the pump was removed and just the base remains.
Just past the plinth you can find Major Street and further on is Holmfield Avenue which contain a row of almhouses built by Major Barker. In Holmfield Park, the house was built in 1833 and was bought in 1864 by Joseph Barker, a worsted manufacturer who owned a mill at Thornes Wharf, who enlarged the house in the 1870s, adding stable block, entrance lodge and boundary wall, and created gardens and parkland. Now of course this contains the Holmfield pub and restaurant. The historic drinking fountain in Holmfield Park was erected in 1893 in memory of Major Barker by the workforce from his mill.